The so-called phototherapy is a method of using the biological efficacy of light to treat vitiligo. Ultraviolet light is usually used, so it is also called ultraviolet light therapy. Ultraviolet light therapy for skin diseases originated in the 1920s and has a history of nearly one hundred years. Due to the development of science and technology, the technology of artificial light sources has developed rapidly, and it is recognized as the first choice for the treatment of common skin diseases. Economical and effective treatment method. The principle of phototherapy for vitiligo is mainly through the action of ultraviolet rays, through the pores, directly inserted into the lesion area, activating the melanocytes in the lesion area, and accelerating its growth. Huahai Vitiligo Hospital reminds patients with vitiligo to pay attention to the following when receiving phototherapy in summer:
1. Phototherapy is only an auxiliary method, and the cure of vitiligo depends on systemic treatment
The conventional treatment of vitiligo is internal medicine + external medicine + phototherapy. Generally, narrow-band UVB treatment is used for phototherapy. However, the single use of phototherapy to treat vitiligo cannot be cured. It requires dialectical typing, staging, and drug conditioning and psychotherapy.
2. For phototherapy, go to a formal medical institution and receive standardized and standardized treatment
Individual patients who are afraid of the heat and do not want to go out in summer, use a hand-held small phototherapy apparatus to treat themselves at home. If the light dose or time is unscientific, it will cause adverse effects of vitiligo phototherapy, including dry skin, erythema, blisters, etc. Therefore, the vitiligo scenery treatment must be operated by professionals.
3. According to individual differences, the dose of UVB treatment should be adjusted continuously
The sensitivity of ultraviolet rays varies with age, gender, and location. Therefore, different people should choose different doses during phototherapy. After phototherapy, it is normal for the vitiligo to be reddish without pain or itching; if the erythema at the vitiligo is accompanied by itching and tingling, it is a phototoxic reaction of the skin caused by the excessive treatment dose.
Professional doctors will make adjustments from the following aspects:
1. Adjust the dose, lower the dose by 10%-20%;
2. For severe itching, stop the phototherapy once or twice, and then adjust the dose to continue treatment after the itching of the skin at the vitiligo disappears;
3. If the white spots has redness and swelling or even blisters due to phototherapy, the phototherapy must be stopped immediately, and drugs can be taken if necessary, and the dose can be adjusted to continue treatment after the redness and blisters disappear.
4. Timely hydrating and moisturizing in summer, slight discomfort does not affect the treatment
In addition to the itchy skin caused by the dose, some patients with dry skin will find peeling of the white spots after phototherapy. This phenomenon is normal. Therefore, it is recommended that patients pay more attention to hydrating and moisturizing in summer. Water bath for 20 to 30 minutes before irradiation helps to improve the curative effect, long-term treatment of dry skin and desquamation, skin care products such as moisturizer can be used externally.